Personal hygiene is one of the most important factors in a human being. The cleanliness and care of your body are habits that directly affect health. For this reason, maintaining good control in dental hygiene prevents possible allergies, infections and diseases.
As part of this process we find oral hygiene , which guarantees a healthy mouth . Having a white smile and also bright gives a very good impression of us. If we do not have it and we are eager to achieve it, there are various methods to whiten our teeth , which would bring a great change to our smile.
What is tooth whitening?
It is a clinical – aesthetic procedure whose function is to achieve the clarification of the color of dental pieces by applying a chemical. If these products are used in concentrations greater than that indicated by the specialist, it can cause damage to the denture. It can be done in the medical office or in the comfort of home.
Causes that cause the appearance of stains on teeth
The causes for which spots and darkening appear in our dental pieces are divided into two groups:
- Intrinsic : They occur during tooth formation, caused by excess fluoride (fluorosis), lack of iron or calcium. Antibiotic use during childhood known as tetracyclines. They can also occur after the appearance of the teeth caused by bumps, fissures, grinding of the teeth (bruxism), aggressive and excessive brushing or aging of the denture.
- Extrinsic : They occur due to the consumption of acidic and citrus foods and beverages and other marching agents such as tobacco, tea, coffee, red wine, excess soft drinks, among others. All these products influence the color of the teeth before and after the bleaching procedure. Therefore it is better to avoid them, and if it is not possible, perform a good brushing and mouthwash after consuming them.
Teeth Whitening Techniques
All procedures use a bleaching compound , where its active ingredient is generally hydrogen peroxide or carbamide peroxide (concentration of 10-22%), which helps remove deep or superficial stains. But does it really work? And how it works? The answer is yes, they do work. These gels penetrate deeply into the pores of the enamel and reach inwards (dentin) generating a chemical reaction that causes the decomposition of organic agents, a process known as chemical oxidation, managing to clarify the color of the teeth.
The different techniques are differentiated by the method used as well as the materials required to do the procedure, this affecting the final cost. To learn how to use it, you should consult a professional. The dentist will select the technique that the patient should use.
- Whitening with LED light or Photoactivation: It is done in the dental office, and the results are seen immediately in the first session, which can last 15 minutes. It is one of the latest advances in the area. During this professional technique, the gums and the rest of the oral tissues are always protected by barriers or rubber dikes, avoiding irritation if they come into contact with the gel. To accelerate the oxidation process, LED or laser light is applied . After one year, it may be necessary to apply the technique again, depending on the maintenance we give our product of our diet. The price of this method is the highest.
- Whitening splint: Another technique to perform at home is the dentist’s manufacturing of a dental splint so that the patient can place the bleaching agent on it, and can use it several hours a day or at night for two weeks. It has a lower price than before.
- Teeth Whitening Kit: They offer quality results in a longer time but at a lower cost. It can be done at home. They are gels that can be applied with ribbons, bite buckets and brush. They should always be used as shown in the product indications. They can be found for sale in pharmacies or can be purchased in many establishments such as beauty and beauty centers or through online stores.
- Toothpastes without bleaching agents: They work by chemical and physical action helping to eliminate stains. These creams use light abrasion components that provide stain removal, but do not whiten teeth.
How teeth whitening techniques work
All methods will be effective if we follow the instructions suggested by our doctor, however there are comments and opinions of people who ensure that these techniques do not work.
Undergoing the use of any process that exists in the whitening of our teeth, leads to practice other routines that will reinforce the success of the method in question.
When we have identified the causes that affect the darkening of our teeth and we know the most effective method to combat it, we must avoid, to the extent possible, those habits that significantly affect our smile. Being able to take advantage of the white and bright of our teeth for longer.
Also, do not smoke , or consume food and beverages that stain for a period of 24 hours after the use of bleach. The use of lipstick should also be restricted.
The use of these techniques should not be exceeded. It is recommended to wait 1 month to reuse any teeth whitening product. We must be cautious to avoid damage and major problems in our teeth and gums.
As part of our oral hygiene , we must maintain the habit of brushing our teeth at least three times a day. Make use of dental floss if necessary and mouthwash to get a fresher breath. Remember to visit the dentist, although we feel good is always good for check-up and prevention.
Tips for choosing a good teeth whitening kit
To know which teeth whitener you should buy, you must take into account some recommendations, such as the different models and characteristics of each:
- Number of applications: One of the things that are essential is that the product offers several applications, so you can invest your money intelligently, ensuring bleaching for a few months . So you can save money by going to the dentist or seeing the need to buy products every time you touch the application.
- Duration: Another feature that you should pay attention to is the duration of the treatment, making sure it is of good quality and gives you long-term results. Ideally, those who offer you a good whitening for up to 6 months , will take away that headache for a good time.
- Hygiene : It is important that the product is as clean as possible and gives you the possibility of eliminating bacteria or agents that can easily stain your teeth . We recommend that you buy a product that has a hygienic case that keeps it away from germs or pollutants.
- Protection: In addition to helping you whiten your teeth, it is also recommended that you apply a product that gives you a good level of protection against contact with substances or liquids with a high level of dye. Creating a kind of barrier that also provides optimal protection to natural enamel and does not wear it with its application.
- Technology: There are many products available in the market, but they do not always work with the same technology, those that consist of the application of a gel are relevant and will give you a deep whitening reaching spaces where normally others cannot, it is an excellent option For those looking for professional results.